Studies show that the lifestyle learned as children are much more likely to stay with a person into adulthood. For this reason, physical activity should be a regular part of family life.
Parents play a key role in helping their children become more physically active. Exercise along with a balanced diet provides the foundation for a healthy lifestyle. The most important things parents can do is encourage healthy habits in their children early in life.
What you can do…
- Take a walk or bike ride as a family.
- Play music and dance while doing chores
- Spend the afternoon at the playground
- Go for a hike
- Set family fitness goals
- Encourage children to sign up for a sport activity
- Set positive examples
- Give your children toys and equipment that encourages physical activity (jump rope, balls, etc)
- Turn off the TV. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than 1 to 2 hours of screen time per day.
- Don’t overdo it.
- Choose age appropriate activities
- Plan ahead and provide a safe environment
Leave a Reply